Grids - Styling Section Headers (Where'd that gradient come from?)

I am applying custom styling to components of my grid. I have a subclass of SDataGridSectionHeaderStyle that defines font,color,backgroundColor.  I wire that in via a call to grid.defaultSectionHeaderStyle.

The font I define, size, height and similar are all used. But the backgroundColor is ignored, and instead an unwanted gradient is applied. (see picture below with custom font, height and text color).

If I dump the view hierarchy in the debugger, I see layers with Gradients applied. 

Actual Question: How do I turn off the gradients?

Here is the code I’m using as my custom style. It is a subclass of SDataGridSectionHeaderStyle.

@implementation ReportGridSectionStyle

-(id) initForAlternateRow
{
  UIColor* backgroundColor = [[RainbowSingleton sharedInstance] gridBackground];
  UIColor* textColor = [[RainbowSingleton sharedInstance] gridText];
  UIFont* font = [[FoundrySingleton sharedInstance] sidebarData];

self = [self initWithHeight:100 withBackgroundColor:backgroundColor withHidden:NO];

if (self)
  {
    self.backgroundColor = backgroundColor;
    self.textColor = textColor;
    self.font = font;
    self.height = 200;
  }
  return self;
}
@end

And here is a snippet of the view hierarchy dumped from the debugger:

| | | | <ReportGridView: 0xaca4cf0; frame = (0 70; 1024 638); layer = <CALayer: 0xaca4dc0>>
   | | | | | <UIView: 0xaca82d0; frame = (330 0; 694 638); autoresize = W+H; layer = <CALayer: 0xaca8260>>
   | | | | | | <ShinobiDataGrid: 0xda67c00; baseClass = UIScrollView; frame = (40 40; 614 558); clipsToBounds = YES; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0xaca8980>; layer = <CALayer: 0xaca8700>; contentOffset: {0, 0}>
   | | | | | | | <ShinobiGrid: 0xda67200; baseClass = UIScrollView; frame = (0 0; 614 558); clipsToBounds = YES; autoresizesSubviews = NO; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0xaca9040>; layer = <CALayer: 0xaca8dc0>; contentOffset: {0, 0}>
   | | | | | | | | <UIView: 0xacabd90; frame = (0 0; 612 2604); layer = <CALayer: 0xacabdf0>>
   | | | | | | | | | <UIImageView: 0xacb0820; frame = (0 0; 0 0); alpha = 0.5; userInteractionEnabled = NO; layer = <CALayer: 0xacb08b0>> - (null)
   | | | | | | | | | <SGridLayer: 0xacada20; baseClass = UIScrollView; frame = (0 0; 614 558); clipsToBounds = YES; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0xacadcc0>; layer = <CALayer: 0xacadc00>; contentOffset: {0, 0; 
No Freeze>
   | | | | | | | | | | <SGridLayerContent: 0xacade90; frame = (0 0; 612 2164); autoresizesSubviews = NO; layer = <CALayer: 0xacadf00; freezeType: No Freeze>
   | | | | | | | | | | | <SGridSectionHeader: 0x9e1d4e0; baseClass = UILabel; frame = (0 1524; 612 200.5); clipsToBounds = YES; autoresize = W; layer = <CALayer: 0x9e1d4b0>>
   | | | | | | | | | | | | <GradientLayerUIView: 0x9e1d2b0; frame = (0 0; 612 200.5); clipsToBounds = YES; layer = <CAGradientLayer: 0x9e1d280>>
   | | | | | | | | | | | | | <UILabel: 0x9e1d120; frame = (26 79.25; 145 42); text = 'Honeywell'; clipsToBounds = YES; autoresize = LM+W+RM+TM+H+BM; userInteractionEnabled = NO; layer = <CALayer: 0x9e1d0f0>>

(FYI, that’s just a very very zoomed in version of the header. I didn’t want to go to all the trouble of blacking out my somewhat sensitive faked up data). 

Hi Cschneid,

Have you tried setting the gradient property on your style to nil? If this doesn’t work, please let us know and we’ll look into it further!

Jan

Edit: I just wanted to add a reason as to why the gradient is there. The theme is responsible for setting the defaults of a grid, since our theme is probably using a gradient, unless you specify otherwise, it will still be present.  :laughing:

As far as I can tell, that’s not a property I can set on a SDataGridSectionHeaderStyle.  Here’s the header file I’m looking at:

/** An SDataGridSectionHeaderStyle object represents the style to be used for the header of a section.*/
@interface SDataGridSectionHeaderStyle : SDataGridWrapper

/** @name Initializing a header style object.*/
/** Initialises a header style object with default values.*/
- (id) init;
/** Initialises a header style with the specified parameters.*/
- (id) initWithHeight:(float) height withBackgroundColor:(UIColor *) backgroundColor;
/** Initialises a header style with the specified parameters.*/
- (id) initWithHeight:(float) height withBackgroundColor:(UIColor *) backgroundColor withHidden:(BOOL)isHidden;

/** @name Styling*/
/** This boolean property indicates whether the section header is to be shown or not.

If set to `YES` then the section at sectionIndex will have no header. Default value is `NO`.*/
@property (nonatomic, assign) BOOL hidden;

/** This property represents the height that will be applied to the section header(s).*/
@property (nonatomic, assign) float height;

/** This property represents the background color that will be applied to te section header(s).*/
@property (nonatomic, retain) UIColor *backgroundColor;

/** This property represents the text color that will be applied to the section header(s). */
@property (nonatomic, retain) UIColor *textColor;

/** This property represents the font that will be applied to the section header(s).*/
@property (nonatomic, retain) UIFont *font;

@end

Where would I set the gradient property? It doesn’t seem to be a member of this style class.

Hi Cschneid - can I ask what version of ShinobiGrids you are using? You can find this out by logging out the result of [myGrid getInfo].

Jan

(lldb) po [self.grid getInfo]
Version: 2.0.0, released on Apr 26 2013

Hi Cschneid,

The gradient property was added in one of our more recent versions of ShinobiGrids. You’ll have to update/download a new trial if you want to remove the default gradient.

Jan